By Jason Wojciechowski on July 19, 2008 at 4:19 PM
Well, it's official: goodbye, Ronny. Thanks for the memories.
Thomas Lee thinks this was a bad move because Turiaf brings energy and hustle. My favorite line: "I know that the Warriors offered him more than the Lakers can afford, but why didn't the Lakers offer him something sooner? Why did the Lakers just sit and do nothing?" I'm curious who Thomas's inside sources are that told him the Lakers had no talks with Ronny and made him no offers.
Lee also suggests a classic "bunch of trash for all your good stuff" trade: Odom + Walton + Radman for Marion + Haslem + 2d round pick. Walton's contract looks pretty horrible right now (it's the longest contract on the Lakers, shockingly), Radman is a one-dimensional player 75% of the time (although is occasional sweeping drives to the hoop and pinpoint passes are pretty, they're much too occasional to be worth much), and in return the Lakers get a defensive player of Marion's caliber, a really useful banger inside, and a pick? For basically Odom plus salaries? No, I don't think Miami's ready to do that deal.
Also, Walter Herrmann might still be an option to return to Detroit
The updated free agent target list:
Ronny Turiaf-- four years, $17 million, Golden State James Posey-- Hornets, four years, $25 million
- DJ Mbenga -- waiting for the phone to ring, I'm sure
Corey Maggette-- five years, $50 million, Golden State
- Sun Yue -- Kupchak wants to bring him over, but no word yet on a deal
- Kurt Thomas -- Spurs are his first choice? Lakers?
Brent Barry-- two years, $3.9 million, Houston Craig Smith-- two-year deal to return to Minnesota
- Carl Landry -- qualifying offer extended by Houston
- Walter Herrmann -- big European money on the table? back to Detroit?
- Randolph Morris -- Atlanta?
- Kwame Brown -- Bucks, Heat, Hawks apparently interested
Eduardo Najera-- undisclosed deal with the Nets
- Juwan Howard -- ?
- Robert Horry -- not retiring; Spurs or Rockets?
- Francisco Elson -- Denver, New Jersey, Seattle, Charlotte, Lakers; Miami?
- Theo Ratliff -- back to Detroit?
- Adonal Foyle -- back to Orlando?
- Quinton Ross -- with Brand gone, maybe the Clippers bring him back, but everyone is interested, including Phoenix, Orlando, New Jersey?
- Bostjan Nachbar -- Detroit? With the Nets adding Najera and Jarvis Hayes, does that mean no room for Nachbar?
- Dorell Wright -- qualifying offer from Miami
- Sasha Vujacic -- qualifying offer from the Lakers
Patrick O'Bryant-- two years, $3 million, Celtics
- David Harrison -- Denver?
- Chris Andersen -- probably not Boston after signing O'Bryant; Cleveland? back to the Nuggets?
- Primoz Brezec -- Seattle, Chicago, Miami?
- Jorge Garbajosa